Valorant is a highly competitive first-person shooter game that requires low ping for smooth gameplay. High ping can cause lag, which can lead to a poor gaming experience. Here are some tips to help lower your ping in Valorant:
- Close unnecessary programs: Having too many programs running in the background can slow down your internet connection and cause high ping. Close any programs that you are not using to free up bandwidth.
- Connect to a wired connection: Wireless connections are not as stable as wired connections and can cause high ping. If possible, connect your computer to your router or modem with an Ethernet cable.
- Restart your router: Sometimes, a simple restart of your router can help to lower your ping.
- Change your DNS server: Changing your DNS server to a faster one can help to lower your ping. You can try using a public DNS server like Google DNS or OpenDNS.
- Check for updates: Make sure that your game, your drivers, and your operating system are up to date. Outdated software can cause lag and high ping.
- Adjust in-game settings: Lowering your in-game graphics settings can help to lower your ping. Experiment with different settings to find the best balance between performance and appearance.
- Change your server location: Playing on a server that is closer to your location can help to lower your ping.
- Avoid peak hours: Try to play during non-peak hours when there are fewer players online. This can help to reduce the amount of congestion on the servers and lower your ping
What does High Ping mean in Valorant?
In the context of online gaming, ping refers to the time it takes for data to be sent from your computer to the game server and back. High ping, also known as high latency, means that it takes a longer time for this data to be sent and received. This can cause a number of issues in a fast-paced game like Valorant, including:
- Lag: High ping can cause lag, which is a delay in the time it takes for actions to be performed in the game. This can make it difficult to aim, move, and react quickly to other players.
- Rubberbanding: High ping can cause players to experience “rubberbanding,” which is when a player’s character appears to move backwards or forwards in short bursts instead of smoothly.
- Stuttering: High ping can cause the game to stutter or freeze, which can make it difficult to play and can disrupt the flow of the game.
- Disconnections: High ping can also cause players to get disconnected from the game server.
All of these issues can make it difficult to play and compete effectively in Valorant. So, lower ping is always better for the smooth gameplay and better experience.
How to change my DNS server
Changing your DNS server can help to lower your ping in online games like Valorant. Here are the steps to change your DNS server on a Windows 10 computer:
- Click on the Start menu and select the “Settings” icon (gear icon).
- Select “Network & Internet” from the settings menu.
- In the left-hand menu, select “Status.”
- Under “Change your network settings,” select “Change adapter options.”
- Right-click on the network connection you are using (for example, “Ethernet” or “Wi-Fi”) and select “Properties.”
- In the Properties window, scroll down and select “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” and click the “Properties” button.
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window, select the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option.
- Enter the preferred DNS server address in the “Preferred DNS server” field and the alternate DNS server address in the “Alternate DNS server” field. (For example, you can use Google’s public DNS server 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 or OpenDNS 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168)
- Click “OK” to save the changes and close the Properties window.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
It’s important to note that if you are using a router, you may need to change the DNS server settings on the router itself instead of on your computer. The steps to do this will vary depending on the specific router you are using, but you can find the instructions in your router’s user manual or by searching for them online.
After making the change, you can check your ping in the game and check if it has improved or not.
Using a VPN
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a service that allows you to connect to the internet through a secure, encrypted connection. This can help to protect your privacy and security while online, and it can also help to lower your ping in online games like Valorant.
Here are the basic steps to use a VPN:
- Choose and subscribe to a VPN service. There are a variety of VPN services available, both free and paid.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device. The process may vary depending on the service you choose, but most VPNs will have instructions on their website.
- Once the software is installed, open the VPN application and log in to your account.
- Select a server location to connect to. This is the location that the VPN server will appear to be located in. Some VPNs will automatically connect to the best server for you, but others will give you the option to choose a specific location.
- Once you have connected to a server, all of your internet traffic will be routed through that server. This can help to improve your ping in online games because it can reduce the distance that your data has to travel.
- After you are done using the VPN, you can disconnect from the server and return to your normal internet connection.
Using a VPN can also help to increase your privacy and security online by encrypting your internet connection and hiding your IP address. However, it’s worth mentioning that if you use a VPN, it can also cause a higher ping, as it increases the distance between you and the game server. So, it’s best to test the ping with and without VPN connection and choose the one that works best for you.
There are many VPN services available, both free and paid, and the best one for you will depend on your specific needs. Here are a few popular VPNs that you may want to consider:
- NordVPN: NordVPN is a paid VPN service that is known for its high-security features and fast speeds. It has a large network of servers in many countries, making it a good choice for online gaming.
- ExpressVPN: ExpressVPN is another paid VPN service that is known for its fast speeds and strong security features. It also has a large network of servers in many countries, making it a good option for online gaming.
- CyberGhost: CyberGhost is a paid VPN service that is known for its easy-to-use interface and large network of servers. It also has a dedicated gaming profile which you can use to connect to the best server for gaming.
- Hotspot Shield: Hotspot Shield is a free VPN service that is known for its fast speeds and easy-to-use interface. It has a limited number of servers and has a free version with some limitations.
- ProtonVPN: ProtonVPN is a free VPN service that is known for its strong security features and commitment to privacy. It has a limited number of servers but has a free version that you can use.
Please keep in mind that free VPNs often come with limitations like data usage, speed, and number of servers. They may also come with privacy concerns. It’s always best to research the VPN service and read the reviews before subscribing to any VPN service.
- What is Valorant? Valorant is a first-person shooter game developed and published by Riot Games. It is a tactical game that features a variety of characters, each with their own unique abilities, and a focus on teamwork and strategy.
- How do I lower my ping in Valorant? To lower your ping in Valorant, you can try a few different things such as: closing unnecessary programs while playing, connecting to a wired internet connection, changing your DNS server, and using a VPN.
- What is a good ping for Valorant? A good ping for Valorant is generally considered to be around 30 milliseconds or lower. A ping higher than 100 milliseconds can start to cause noticeable lag in the game.
- How can I check my ping in Valorant? You can check your ping in Valorant by opening the game’s console by pressing the ` key and then type “ping” and press enter. This will display your current ping in milliseconds.
- What is the difference between high ping and low ping? Ping is the time it takes for a data packet to travel from your computer to the game server and back. A low ping means that the data packet takes less time to travel, resulting in a more responsive and smoother gaming experience. A high ping means that the data packet takes more time to travel, resulting in lag and a less responsive gaming experience.